Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What...no camera?!

Yesterday Dan had the day off, so we packed up the kids and traveled to Mt Hood. Driving around in Portland on a clear day is pretty cool, because it appears almost flat except for 2 or three mountains (volcanoes) that pop out of nowhere. This was such a day. It was VERY cold and windy, but it was actually sunny! Perfect for pictures! I made sure to pack lots of extra batteries so I could take pictures to my heart's delight.

We borrowed some winter gear from a friend so we could go sledding. We folded the seats down in the back of our van (LOVE the stow-and-go feature!) and after 45 minutes, we finally had the kids layered enough to hopefully keep them warm. They looked hillarious! Before Michael was dressed he was running all over the van, but once he was bundled up, I laid him down and he couldn't move! (AHA! the secret to sanity!) To be fair, Dan said I was the only one that looked ridiculous. The only coat I have is leather with faux fur lined, so not very good for sledding. I had about 4 long sleeve shirts on with 3 sweaters on top of those, and then a hooded jacket. No boots, just my old tennis shoes. Everyone else on the mountain was decked out in cool snow pants and ski jackets. OH well. :)

Anyway, we finally made it out of the van, I whipped out my camera to start taking some serious pictures, and the camera started flashing "No memory card" on the screen! I was livid! :) But, the purpose of our trip was to have fun, not to take pictures, so we went on our way. The kids loved the tubes and Chelsea went down by herself a few times. When the got cold, we headed back to our van where Dan heated up some water on our camping stove so we could have a lunch of cup-of-noodles, granola bars, wheat thins, and grapes.

I finally couldn't stand the thought of not documenting this fun day, so I went across the street to the gas station and purchased a diposable camera. I took a few pictures, but the kids were getting tired so we headed off for more sledding. After one more run, Michael had had enough of the cold wind, so I took him back and we enjoyed a nap in the back of the van until Dan and Chelsea were ready to go home. Now, don't you wish you had awesome pictures to accompany this blog? ME TOO! :) I only ended up taking 5 pictures, so who knows when we'll use up the remaining film on the camera so we can develop them.

ON the other hand, I realized I never posted pictures of Chelsea and Michael's new play house. My friend gave it to me as her daughter isn't very interested in it anymore. They love it! It will be lots of fun when it gets warmer so they can actually spend some time in it!





Thanks for reading this insanely long, pictureless blog! :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That sounds like you guys a great time. I am so jealous of your backyard!! I wish we had even a little patch of grass to call our own.

Shawn and Tasha said...

Bummer about not having your memory card.:-( Oh well, I'm sure you guys are going to have plenty of "snow" pictures later since you plan on living somewhere with 4 seasons.:-)

I love the play house- every child's dream!

Staigerfamily said...

THAT STINKS! I would be so upset! UGH. . . batteries, check. . . camera, check. . . MEMORY CARD?!? Who ever thinks to look to make sure you brought a memory card?! NOBODY. Sorry! I would have loved to have seen you in your winter ensamble, though! The playhouse looks like so much fun! I can't wait until we can come and visit and the boys can play with your kids! They would LOVE IT! Miss you!!!!

Emily said...

I hate it when I forget my camera. That stinks. I love the playhouse though. Katie would totally be into that.