
Christmas, like most people, is my favorite holiday. It used to be about Santa Claus for me, but now that I'm grown up, I think it's the joyful spirit it brings. I love the excitement in the air. I actually think the holiday is more fun as a mom as I watch Chelsea's anticipation grow. So, I was talking with my oldest brother the other day, about all the traditions we had growing up. There are so many out there that people do, and I love hearing and learning about them, especially as a young family where we are picking and choosing which traditions we will do.
When I was younger the best part of Christmas was waking up to find out how Santa had messed up again. There was always some kind of accident that resulted in a day-long search of our presents. But, before that hunt could begin, we had to be showered, dressed, and rooms cleaned before we could go downstairs to even see what we were in for. Our parents made sure of that, usually be baracading the stairs with a door they had taken down somewhere.
When we finally made it to the tree, we would find our stuffed stockings which usually contained toothbrushes, deodorant, nuts, oranges, MAYBE some candy, and a big bag of cold cereal. (Growing up, Christmas was THE only time we had cold cereal). Then we would begin our adventure. Sometimes Santa couldn't find our new address (if we'd moved), so we would have a treasure hunt that led us all over town with the presents at the neighborhood park. Another time he was ran out of time and needed our help to do some of his chores. This resulted in another type of treasure hunt that was made up of tasks we had to complete, such as caroling at the nursing home, making cookies for our neighbors, acting out the nativity, etc. After each task, the person would give us our nest task/clue until we finally got to our presents.
Another year we woke up to find our home as a huge web. Trixy and Pixie, Santa's helper elves had been wrestling and gotten their magic dust all over. There was string going everwhere. We were each blindfolded and given one end of a string which we were then to follow and roll up to find our stash. One year we actually could see our presents when we got to the tree, but they were scattered throughout the house, each with a number on it. We had to find the presents, in order, and bring them one-by-one back to the living room where we would all watch the recipient open the gift. I don't remember what the reason for this Christmas was, but it seriously took till 1 PM to finish.
Looking back, this must have taken tons of planning and preparation by my parents, but it really made Christmas so much fun. I was wondering what traditions your families might have? (Whether you liked them or not). At Dan's house, it's tradition that Dad passes out each gift. Another thing the Perry's do, is leave the presents Santa brought unwrapped and all set up by the person's stockings.


We started one where we made one of those chains from paper (25 chains) with something to do for each day. For example, we made a gingerbread house, went out for special holiday ice-cream shakes, wrote letters to friends, made cookies for neighbors, etc. Chelsea has really been enjoying it, and I love being able to stretch the holiday out as long as possible. Varden wants to try having a stack of Thank-you cards by the tree on Christmas morning, and as a present is opened, a quick thank you is written before another is opened.
Whatever you do at Christmas, I truly hope you have a blast and love every moment of it! Merry Christmas!
11 comments:
That is really funny, I like your parents ideas! One of Dan's Family traditions that I think is fun is each Christmas the kids (and parents) go outside and throw carrots on the roof for the reindeer. Each person has a carrot and as they throw it onto the roof they yell out a reindeer's name. It is kinda fun, last year I got to take part in this tradition and I hit the house and the carrot bounced off and I had to re-throw, it was fine but his 7 year old nephew was able to get his onto the roof! :o)
haha! That's hillarious! We should try that this year, since he won't be with his family and stuck with us! :)
I love that Santa always got confused at your house. That's classic!
Our traditions are small.
1. We eat out on Christmas Eve so that my mom is cooking, cleaning up dinner ... and then staying up all night with Santa.
2. My grandma ALWAYS brings cinnamon rolls over on Christmas morning.
3. Santa never wraps a present and they are set out in piles.
4. My mom always signs up for some sort of "adopt a Santa" program for the less fortunate.
I can't believe how much planning your parents did for christmas! That sounds like so much fun. I love the chain link idea. I might have to start doing that when Katie gets older. At my house we:
1. My parents would hide a pickle ornament on the tree on Christmas Eve when everyone was in bed and the first person to find the pickle ornament the next morning got the stash of coins my parents had been collecting the whole year long. (It's actually a German tradition(
2. We always have poppers at Christmas Eve dinner. They pop when you open them and they have a prize and a paper crown inside that we all had to wear.
3. We used to always open one present christmas eve that had our pj's in it.
4. We always take turns opening one present at a time on christmas day.
5. We'd always make cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer.
Anyway, those are a few, nothing too unusual except for maybe the whole pickle thing.
The Christmas pickle! Dan's family does that too, but we don't get a whole stash of coins! Where do you find these "poppers"? I've never heard of them before.
tia- way to be such a faithful blog reader/commenter. :)
so... umm.... the whole ropes everywhere- that was definitely NOT "trixie and pixie" (who the heck are they??). It was the reindeers leash thingies.. whatever they're called. the REINDEERS went heywire, not some bogus elves. besides- how would their magic dust turn into a bunch of tangled ropes? your poor memory is fading quickly i fear. alas. at least mine is still perfect. :)
Hmm...Tawna... I am holding firm on my memory. After all...I am the college graduate! :)We'll have to ask mom.
That is so funny. I've never met anyone else who does the Christmas pickle! The poppers...my mom usually finds I think at like Hobby Lobby, or Michaels, and sometimes the grocery store.
oh brother. whooopdeedooo on the graduate business. give me one more semester and you can't pull that on me.
ask mom? psh. we all know how good HER memory is. :P
Our traditions are pretty simple. On Christmas Eve we would always have the missionaries over for dinner. Dinner would consist of a smorgasboard (Danish tradition) filed with different appetizers and finger foods. Then we would all pile into the car and go caroling with plates of cookies to the homes of the families my dad hometeaches and to the families the missionaries were teaching. When we got home the missionaries would open their gifts (a new maglite, socks and candy) and then we would read from Luke II, open our new pj's and pick out our spot for Santa to leave our gifts and put our stockings.
Santa would leave our gifts, unwrapped set decoratively on our spot. We would each take a turn opening a gift from under the tree which would take us to lunch time to get through everything. We spent the afternoon talkikng to family, playing with our new games and just relaxing.
Fun stuff, love all the teasing. Must be a sister thing. My brothers don't ever read my blog, boys! I updating mine finally, our computer is working again. Can't wait fro scrapbooking night!!!
Post a Comment