Sunday, May 18, 2008

I got my PhT!

Last night, Dan and I went to an alumni dinner. It was really fun to talk to all the friends we've made during the four years we've been here. I haven't seen some of the wives for a long time. There were a few of us who would watch the intramural basketball games every week, but the new gym they built didn't have room for spectators. It was fun to catch up with them, see pictures of kids, and learn about their plans in the very near future. We will soon be scattered accross the U.S to Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, Michigan, Utah, Oregon, and Washington.

We are all amazed at how fast the four years went by, especially when it seemed it would take forever when we first met that first year in '04. I hope that most of them will continue this blog stuff so we can keep in touch. :)

The dinner was held at an Alumni's house, who is also a parent of one of dan's classmates. Of course, it was an incredible house, and the food was delicious, especially the desserts! YUM!

In the middle of the evening, the Dean of the Dental School gave a presentation. He told the story of an alumni member who graduated in the 60's and who's wife recently passed away. This passing caused him to reflect on all the memories he and his wife had an her influence on his career. He and his children got together and decided to create the Ann Wilkins Ellis award. This is the PhT award "Putting him/her Through" award. Students could nominate their spouses by writing a 500 word essay on how their spouse "Put him/her through" school. Dan left a copy of the essay he wrote on the table they day he submitted it. It was the sweetest letter, and of course, made me cry. I didn't care if I won or not, the essay was prize enough. But, due to his amazing literary skills more than my "support" I was one of 6 selected. We were given a copy of the letter on formal paper along with a cash award. We were instructed that the money was NOT to be used to go towards paying off debt, or anything but on ourselves. :) I think I can handle that. In fact, I was able to get myself a new dress for the evening, some jewelry, and makeup. It was so fun to get dressed up. Unfortunately, though, I think most of the money will go towards our move. I am so grateful for Dan's thoughtfulness. I love you!

8 comments:

Connor and Jana said...

Congrats on the PhT! You deserve it! If was fun to see you last night, I too wish we could have talked a little more, hopefully we will see each other at the events coming up and we can catch up a little. Your kids are getting so big! They are so cute!

Janet said...

That is so sweet. I'm glad you were picked. To me there is nothing better than knowing your husband appreciates and realizes all the things we do for them especially while in school. Way to go Dan and Trisa!!!

Rebecca McAllister said...

How fun. You looked gorgeous today, I didn't get a chance to tell you. Is that your new dress? I remember when Evan started school four years ago, I felt like the end would never come and here we are...I truly feel like "we" are graduating, not just him.

Shawn and Tasha said...

Way to go Dan for writing that for Trisa! Trisa, you deserve that whole heartedly! Anything written about you should win prizes. You're an amazing multi-talented woman!

tawna said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! How incredibly sweet of Dan!! What a great award idea! YAY FOR YOU!!!

You are lookin super cute in that picture= but I want a close up! :)

Dont use that money on your move!! Seriously. You guys would have been able to do it w/o the 'extra' money, even if it would have been tight and hard. Because that's what you were planning on. When else is someone going to hand you cash and say- here- spend it ONLY on you? Practically NEVER. Im totally serious about this. I have no idea how much we're talking about here, but be it 10$-$1,000, DONT SPEND IT ON SOMETHING PRACTICAL!!!

Alicia said...

Good to hear how it's going in your life...I posted wedding pictures on my blog...Love, Alicia

Nathan said...

Yeah, so how much was it? We're all dying to know.. ;-)

Congratulations. That's really cool. Way to go, Dan. And Tia.

Staigerfamily said...

I love this story! It is so awesome! I think it is super sweet of Dan and nice for you to see his appreciation for all you have done. I am so proud of you both. I have to agree, though, that using it for the move hardly counts as keeping it to yourself! Live it up, girl! (much easier said than done, I know!)