Police: Hello, Mr. Perry?
Dan: Yes?
Police: We understand you have a car missing?
D: That's right
P: Well, we've found it!
D: That's great!
P: Yeah...not so great.
D: Uh oh.
They found the car at a local park about 5 miles from our house, totaly gutted and stripped of everything. We could either come and get it or they would call a towing company and get it hauled off. We decided on the latter, since we didn't exactly own a tow truck.
This morning, the towing company called us to see what we wanted to do with the car. We decided to head out to the junk yard to take one last look, with hope that maybe, just maybe, we could salvage it for just another month or so.
My heart was beating so hard as we drove into the lot and I saw our poor little car. I expected the worse...but part of me didn't want to see what it looked like.

the outside didn't look too bad until we got a little closer and saw the inside.

I found it interesting, amusing, and shocking the things that they took...and didn't take. They stole one of the wheels...but not the brand new one we put on a few months ago.

They took the sun visors...

Each door was completely stripped...


They took the middle buckle on the back seat, but left all the other seat belts...

They took the passenger chair, and unscrewed the driver seat.


They took the middle console.

Of course they took the CD player, but the air vents? Maybe I don't know much about cars...but I certainly had no idea there was any value behind those little guys besides nice, cold air!

Dan had a bunch of Dental stuff in the trunk, like old teeth models, and they took all that. Dan says it's completely worthless, even to him...I'm just curious to know what they think they will get from them. NOt sure what a pawn shop would do with someone else's teeth model.
They left my trunk organizer, a quilt that we always leave in the car, and one of Chelsea's drawings. She was very happy to see it.
They even left some important papers Dan needed for his board exams coming up. It really confuses me why they took the time to stick all this stuff in the trunk, although not before they cleaned out the spare tire and car jack. However, we can't be completely upset about the whole thing, because they did leave Dan a present. They left a Bone Thugs CD for us! Dan is actully pretty excited about it and says it's now an even trade. He listened to it the entire way back home and up to school. (Yes...I'm cringing while typing)

So, the car is gone. Sometimes I feel like bursting into tears that someone could be so thoughtless. But then I feel sorry for them that they feel they have to do this to get whatever little money they can for it. The thing that makes me MOST angry, is that we are now responsible for the towing fee of $240.00!!!!
And no, we won't get any compensation from our insurance company, because we only had liability on it. We just didn't feel like it was worth enough to pay for whatever dammage might come to it. If we had had it, we probably would have come out for the better, but it was a gamble and we lost.
We just hope that we are the lucky ones who get to be one of the few statistics of victims of stolen and gutted cars and that you all will just get to say you "knew of a friend" that it happened to. Thanks for all your calls and concerns! We do appreciate it!
11 comments:
We are so sorry to hear this! They will have the favor returned to them someday don't worry! Sorry Again!
Oh Tia. I am so very sorry. The boys are here sitting on my lap as tears are pouring down my cheeks (got past the throat lump finally, eh?) telling me it is okay and J: "But mommy, I don't want a crying mommy!--the workers will fix it soon mommy. Someday." I was really hoping for a much better ending than this--even the lame mall excuse. Hang in there! We love you.
I am so sorry you guys! I really was hoping for a better turn out than this. I agree with you Trisa I must be car dumb but are sun visors and air vents worth that much? Matt told me that back in high school he heard there was a group of Russian people that would steal cars and gut them. Then they would wait for the car to be junked and then go to the junk yard and buy the car for like $100 and then put it all back together and then try and sell the car for like a couple thousand dollars. I have to say that is just sick. I am glad that Dan is happy with his present. I always knew he was a closet bone fan. I am also glad that Chels was able to recover one of her paintings and that Dan's board paper were still there. I hope you guys are doing okay!
this is SOOO lame.
im so sorry that this happened to you---its not fair!!!
it kinda seems like these people were ruthless criminals. or really desparate ones. arent you glad that you did not have a confrontation with them? you are so lucky that you did not have to face them, with your kids or anything. that is truly a tender mercy. If you DID have to face those criminals, you would gladly give them your car for them to leave you alone probably.
i know that does not make it better. but when something crappy happens to me, i cant help but try to twist it to make it sound better to me than it really is. one time, i lost a bunch of money---some one stole it from me. and it was around the holidays. i couldnt help but keep thinking, "i hope they really needed it" i hope they needed food or diapers or something , and that they are able to do something good with it. anyway,
that is dumb.
did you guys end up keeping the car? are you going to fix it? or are you going to just give it to the junk yard?
What a bummer!! I'm sorry that they cleaned it out. Who would of thought that some of those things would be taken. Good luck finding a new car if needs be.
MAJOR BUMMER! The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking ... she's totally gonna get a sweet new car out of this deal ... WAH!!! I'm totally sick for you guys right now!! I've thought about downgrading to liability only on Gary's car, since it is paid off ... but I think we'll keep it now. I'm so sorry!!! PUNKS!!!
Oh yeah, and that was REAL nice of the police to call you at 3am!!! Geez! Icing on the cake!
That is way lame. They took the strangest things. I thought the craziest part was the wheel they took. Why didn't they take the new wheel? Craziness! We're sorry it ended badly!
I am absolutely dying that that happened to you guys!! What a bummer. And I can't believe some of the things they took. They really stripped that baby down. I'm so sorry you had to go through this! It makes me so angry that there are people out there like that.
I can't believe this happened. I am so sorry. Maybe one day you'll look back and laugh. MAYBE!
I think this is awful! My friend's daughter and husband just moved to Puyallup and had the same thing happen to them the day before you. It was an older honda. They stripped it and left it along the highway. They too had to pay for it to be towed and only had liability. It makes me so mad thinking someone did this to both of you.
Post a Comment