Saturday, April 25, 2009

Family Field Trip


Today we took a mini road trip up to Yakima (about an hour away) to see the live show "Walking with Dinosaurs".
Michael was really hoping his best friend Cannon would be there, since Michael knew how much Cannon likes dinosaurs. :)




The kids were pretty excited about the show, especially when there was popcorn and "nummies" involved.

I tried to get pictures, but it was just too dark and everything turned out blurry. I did take a few video's with the camera, so you can kind of see what it was like. I don't think I was supposed to record it, so the excerpts are pretty short.




The show lasted about an hour and a half. The narrator was a Paleontologist who started gave us a brief history lesson as he went through each era of the dinosaur age, explaining the changes that happened on the earth, and consequently, how those changes affected the dinosaurs.

It was pretty impressive to see these "life size" dinosaurs look so real. The smaller dinosaurs were mainly moved by man as you could see the man's legs, but the head, eyes, mouth, and tail looked like it was mechanical, but in a very realistic way. The larger dinosaurs were driven by these guys in little cars underneath the dinosaurs. You can see an example of this in the T-rex video.


Chelsea and Michael were completely captivated. Chelsea's favorite part was when the plant life and flowers bloomed.


Here are some fun facts I found on the web about the show: (found here)
65:The number of people on the Walking With Dinosaurs staff.

17: The number of animatronic dinos, including two eggs.

90-2000: In pounds, the range of how much each dinosaur weighs.

60: In feet, the length of the longest dinosaur, the brachiosauraus, from nose to tail.

38: In feet, the brachiosauraus' height.

30: In centimeters, the height of one of the eggs.

24: In hours, how long the crew needs to set up the stage for the show.

26: The number of trucks needed to drive the shows dinosaurs, equipment, and crew from venue to venue.

3: The number of crew members it takes to control each animatronic dinosaur.

Over 1,00,000: How many people have seen the show in North America.

It was an awesome experience and if it ever comes near your city, I highly recommend it!

5 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

My boys are TOTALLY IN LOVE with this idea!! But so far, no schedule visits to Dallas. I hope that changes!!! How cute michael was looking for cannon. love it. Looks awesome!

thesearlesociety said...

Looks like a great show. I think Isaac would have liked it. How fun!

Edda Phillips said...

That looks SO COOL! I'm going to look up right now if they'll be in our area any time soon.

By the way, I am so impressed with how adventurous you guys are! Taking little field trips on random weekends. I love it. :)

Brit said...

wow looks like fun! Kelsey's camera is a canon rebel xti. He had to get it for school, so I just make him bring it home for special occasions to be our photographer.

Shawn and Tasha said...

Wow! Those short videos have Clayton asking me a million questions right now about the dinos.:) "What are they doing with those dinosaurs?...How did they get there?...Did they hurt anyone?..." What a fun family trip!