Monday, February 16, 2009

Help?!



I am in need of your advice and input!

I would love to get a new camera before the baby is born. We didn't have one for Michael, which I totally regret. We took pictures at the hospital using our new camcorder, but those pictures are pretty grainy. We bought one shortly after, but it's been a big disappointment. The zoom lens broke (not sure if it was our fault or not) so most of our pictures are blurry. It is a Kodak Easy Share. I would Love to be able to have some great pictures of this little one, from day one!

ANYWAY, I'm so overwhelmed by all the choices. I would LOVE and SLR, but not sure I need one. As I look at your blogs, it seems that many of you have great cameras. So my question to you is:

What kind of camera do you have?

I don't care if it was a really cheap one or an expensive one, I would just like to know what you use and if YOU like it and possibly, WHY?

Thanks so much!

13 comments:

Nathan said...

I have an iPhone and a Canon EOS-20D SLR.

The biggest factor in getting better photos with our SLR has been its speed in snapping the photo. I know the picture will be exactly what I'm looking at the instant I click the button, and I can take several pictures in a row instantaneously. I'm not sure how fast non-SLR cameras are these days, but I'm sure there are some fast ones, so this isn't necessarily a reason to get an SLR. It's just a factor to consider. Also, because with the SLR you have an optical view finder, it uses MUCH less battery power. We can take a couple hundred pictures without having to recharge. The downside of the SLR is it's a lot bulkier. I can't throw it in your pocket like I can with my iPhone.

I would also consider how good the picture quality is in low (indoor) lighting. Cheaper cameras (like my iPhone) take very blurry pictures in low light because they need more exposure time. Our SLR is much faster and more sensitive in low light.

One nice thing about the iPhone is that it records GPS information when you take a picture, and since the new iPhoto automatically sorts my photos by location, I can look at a map and see dots in all the places I have taken a picture, and click on a dot to bring them up. I'm sure GPS will become a common feature on new cameras. (There are already several that have it.)

I'm sure it won't be much longer until the smaller, inexpensive cameras take pictures as well as the bigger more expensive cameras, but until then I think it makes sense to have a smaller portable camera (probably built into your phone) that you can have with you all the time, and a larger, nicer camera that you can use when you really care about a quality picture.

PerryParty3 said...

thanks for the info nate!

Ashlea said...

I bought Jason a Nikon D100 a few years ago on E-bay. He is a photo freak and had a nikon film camera that he could use the lenses from on the one I bought him. We love it and it is an old enough model that you can get them used fairly cheap. Jason used to take photos for newspapers and such and he thinks it's one of the best ones out there so must be pretty good. Hope that helps!

Gary Church said...

I have a Canon Power Shot Pro 1. Great camera. I also have a Canon Elon EOS 35mm film SLR. Canons are GREAT cameras. I recommend just about any Canon. Literally.

Erin R. said...

We have two now. Our smaller one that I can throw in the diaper bag is a Panasonic Lumix. I like that it is really compact and that it can also take videos so if I am out and about or Andrew starts doing something I can just use the camera instead of getting out the camcorder. The one downside is that sometimes it takes a little bit for it to "recycle" and be ready to take another picture. This seems to happen when the card is getting too full. My other camera is my new DSLR...a Canon Rebel XSi. I absolutely LOVE it! Pretty much everything your brother said is true. I got a book and am trying to learn more about it so I can start taking some really good pictures of the boys. Of course, the one downside is that it is a little bigger, so having the smaller digital camera to throw in the diaper bag is nice. Grant likes using the website www.butterflyphoto.com when he has bought cameras. Good luck!

Benson Fam said...

I love camera talk! I also have one for the diaper bag for random park cuteness and a big sucker for the heavy duty photography. For the little camera we have a Canon Elph- we LOVE the elph and have had one model or another for years. We just got an SLR last year- it's an Olympus E-410 and I love it because I can take a whole picture zoomed in of just an ear and it turns out so crisp and clear. We have gotten all of our cameras from Costco because they have good deals and a pretty darn great return policy/warranty. And because we like their churros and hot dogs :).

Emily said...

I have a Sony Cybershot that I'm pretty happy with. Good luck on your quest for a new camera.

Edda Phillips said...

I had a Cannon Powershot, and it had a slow shutter speed. Using a tripod it could take clear pictures, but who wants to do that every time? If you can get an SLR, get the Canon Rebel - I think it's at Costco for a reasonable price. But if you want a good point and shoot camera that I LOVE, get the Casio Exilim 8.1 megapixels. Super easy to use and takes great pictures quickly with little fuss. And it's easier to haul around than an SLR.

Nessa said...

So I have a Canon 40D, more importantly(in my opinon)is the lense...which I have that goes from 28mm-135mm with an image stablizer(so important) and the mouth(the actual lense that is at the end) being 72 mm-which is really big so it lets in a lot of natural light. Then I have another lense(which I never use...so it's kinda a waste)that is 70-300mm and it's mouth size is the traditional 58mm. 40D's are heavy and big and hard to lug around sooo I do have a point and shoot. Which I use as backup or when I can't take the big one with me....example we went sking yesterday and an awesome camera would have been nice to take for the good pictures of everyone sking down the mountain... BUT...obviously it wouldn't fit in my coat pocket so I took the point and shoot. I have a friend who does family photography for friends and such (she did our family pics which is on my blog somewhere, the family pictures where we were in red)and she has a Canon rebel...which she can get really good up close shots and it's smaller so it's easier to handle. But, if I had it all over to do again knowing then what I know now I would still buy my 40D. Or a higher end Nikon that comes with an awesome lense. But in opinon I really only like Canon and Nikon.

tami sue stark said...

I have a casio Exilim from costco--it's blue and very slim and sleek. It's a great camera to carry in your purse and the pictures have turned out well. Also, Ben just bought a Nikon for his office. It takes great pictures, but I think we need to learn how to use it, or maybe buy some extra lenses. I like the point and shoot becaue it's brainless. Love your blog!

Shawn and Tasha said...

I can totally see where you're coming from. We got our camera before Clayton was born, but I'm sure you can find much better ones now. Also, since you're taking pictures every day with your awesome project, I'd probably consider getting a better quality camera. We have a Kodak Easy Share DX7630. It's suited our needs for now, but some day I'm sure I'll break down and buy the real deal.:) Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Janet said...

I got a Nikon D60 for my birthday. Of course, now that I have it, I want something even better or I need to take a class and learn how to take pictures off of the auto mode and learn to adjust speed and appature. I'm just not in a position to pay more money at this point. I really do like it, actually I love it. It is so much better than my old Nikon point and shoot camera.

Beckblogger said...

We have a Canon PowerShot SD750. We paid about $220 for it a year ago, but they are cheaper now. We love it...takes great pictures, its compact and we can get video clips as well. I'm sure the photos don't compare to Molly's camera, but I think its the best you can get for the price. When we were looking, everyone said to go for a Canon or a Nikon. Good luck!