(she's not crying, I promise! The light is just to bright and her eyes were watering)
So I know most of you have been in school for at least a week, some even more, but we finally started on Monday.
Apparently, Washington likes to help their kindergartners into school life by what they call a "soft start". Let me explain...
On the first day of kindergarten... Wednesday, August 27th
That morning she had a cram session. Here she is trying to remember how to count by 10's to 100 without peaking...Her left hand looks a little suspicious to me. What do you think?
On the second day of kindergarten...Friday, August 29th
We found out which class Chelsea would be in. She is in the afternoon class, with Mrs. Martin. I was pretty bummed that she was in the PM class, but now I really like it. We get to do piano and school work in the mornings, and I get to make sure her hair is cute for school everyday. PLUS, Michael takes a nap while she is gone, so I still have ME time!
On the Third day of kindergarten... Tuesday, Sept 2nd
Mom got to go to school with Chelsea to meet her new teacher and for orientation. This lasted only 1 hour.
Chelsea and Mrs. Martin (who just had a baby in June! Doesn't she look amazing?!)
Her classroom...the kids were out to recess to learn playground rules.
On the Fourth day of Kindergarten...Sept. 4th
Chelsea went to school with her classmates whose last name starts with M-Z
Doesn't she look fed up with the whole process. This girl is READY for school to start!
On the 5th day of Kindergarten... Friday, Sept 5th
On the 6th day of Kindergarten... Monday, Sept. 8th
For real.
All by herself.
All day.
When I went to orientation with her, on the third day, I was overcome with emotions. No, I did not cry...as I was trying to figure out just what I was feeling. Part of it was that I was old enough to have a child in kindergarten, and that Chelsea would be gone everyday, but for the most part, I was jealous! I loved elementary school and want to go back!!! 7th grade and up, NO thanks, but elementary school is just plain fun!! Wierd, huh?! I know! I was kinda shocked at the way I was feeling...
But, reality is, I can't go back. I'm old. For now, I'll just have to live the excitement of school through Chelsea and hopefully, be able to volunteer once a week. However, I think I've finally realized what I want to do...when I grow up. I really want to teach 1st through 3rd grade. I loved teaching that area as a substitute, and that day in Chelsea's class just confirmed it. So, when the kids are older (and there's more of them)...I hope to be the teacher in the classroom...not the jealous parent. :) I am SO excited for Chelsea, and now that I've met her teacher, I know she's going to have an awesome year. What more could a mom want?
9 comments:
I am so proud of you for not crying! I know I will be crying when Andrew starts kindergarten. I'm so glad that Chelsea has a great teacher and it looks like a great classroom. Chelsea looked darling in her new school outfits and I hope she has a great year!
Wow, that is quite a soft start process. We just throw them in the door and walk away, sad as it may seem. Chelsea looked so cute each day. I have always had morning Kin. with the other 3 but I decided to do PM with Hallie. I love it. Just as you said she can look cute and I have some alone time with her because for us after school is nightmarish.(By the way I am happy to erase the comment with emails, but how do I do it.???? :)
Wow. .. quite the SOFT start. . . I actually think I like the idea of a slow transition. Here, I think, you just show up and that's it. And kinergarten is full day just like the other grades. Thank heavens I have another year to get ready for this step. She looks SO DANG CUTE! and completely sweet. Does she EVER do anything wrong?
Last year when Cameron started Kindergarten, I drove behind his school bus all the way to the school, bawling. Every mile stone for your kids, is one for you too!
So fun that you want to be a teacher. You'd be great.
Wow, the fact that you have a kid in kindergarten makes me feel REALLY old! She looks darling and I'm sure you will enjoy the time to yourself in the afternoons now :)
That is quite a soft start! I can't believe how much older Chelsea's already looking. She's definitely the cutest and the best dressed on campus!:)
I think I would have gone crazy doing it that way. She looks so cute all dressed up. Her class room looks so fun. They have to know a lot to go to school there. They must be training geniuses. Noah had to know his letters and that was it. They don't even do any testing. I also really like the afternoon kindergarten. DO you have to take her or does she get to ride the bus. Oh, by the way Matt also broke down and has been listening to Twilight at work. He gave the same synopsis as Dan did. It must be a guy thing.
She looks so cute. I wouldn't mind a slow process for starting 12th grade. That would have been nice. hahaha
Oh, my land! They really drag it out up there! And I agree with everyone else - she looks SO, SO CUTE! I'm going to be copying your hair styles once Trevy has enough hair!
Post a Comment