Friday, February 22, 2008

What?! ANOTHER cavity?!



Does this picture scare you? Are you thinking to yourself..."What does that poor, POOR man have on his face?" Well, you should, because these things are awful. They're called "rubber dams" and they are the worst part of going to see Dan at the dental school. My teeth have very close "contacts", meaning my teeth are very close together, so it's hard to get the stupid thing inbetween my teeth. On the other hand, Dan loves them because theykeep the tongue and spit away from where he is trying to work, and helps keep the teeth dry. Unfortunately, the drool is now slathered accross your face, hiding beneath the dam, but you can't do anything because how in the heck are you supposed to talk with that thing in your mouth! Dentists don't really need them because they have hygenists (sp?) there with the suction thing to catch everything. Oh, did you know that when they say "Debris" they really mean blood?

Anyway, Dan has been doing a lot of work on me lately. I even have bling in my mouth now! Dan needed to fill some gold requirements, so why not put the money in my mouth? Hopefully you can't see it unless I show it to you. :) I kept meaning to bring my camera in to take pictures of this "dam" device (pun INTENDED). I was so mad when I went yesterday to my last appointment and realized I had forgotten it. But, lucky for me, another "huge" cavity has popped up and I get to go back! And even better, now I get to be one of Dan's patients for his board exam! LUCKY ME! :)

I know I sound really bitter, but it actually is all turning out okay. Because we're getting it done at the school, the cost of the dental work is half off, and Dan gets more requirements done. He does a great job and to be honest, I usually fall asleep whil he's working on me. Now, who's next in line?

7 comments:

Shawn and Tasha said...

This picture is hilarious!:-) Luckily I've never had to use one of those "dam" things. :-)I'm sorry you have another cavity- not fun. Your kids are welcome to come over for the next appointment (they are angels!!!)

That's great that Dan can work on you & that he's so good you fall asleep! I'm sure he'll do GREAT on the boards.

what kind of a name is abra said...

NOT ME!!!! You can't possibly give me enough drugs to go to the dental school again. Lucky Dan that you are going to be his patient for boards, that is perfect, I can't believe you sleep through such horrors, such pain, such torture.....oh, wait, I was reflecting a bit there.

Michelle said...

This is going to sound really dorky, but I LOVE rubber dams. In assisting school that was one of my favorite parts. We had to practice on dummies named dexter and then on each other. We had to be tested on them on each of the parts of the mouth. If we lived closer I would totally have dan work on me. I do believe I have a few cavities since it's been so long since I have had my teeth cleaned. I trust my brother that much. Oh and I thought Dan was going to be watching your brushing and flossing habits. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Emily said...

Love the picture! That blue thing totally reminds me of when I had a root canal and those aren't good memories. I hate getting my teeth worked on, but unfortunately no matter how much I floss and brush I still have to frequent the dentist. How great that all your dental work will be free forever?!

Gary Church said...

Dude. I hate having my mouth messed with. Period. I'd rather have a cesarean again than go to the dentist for work. I'm feelin' your pain.

Rebecca McAllister said...

eeaachggh. that's how i feel abou that picture. i think mouths in general are pretty nasty!

Staigerfamily said...

This post was HALARIOUS!!! I am still laughing as I type this. I love your PUN intended. I am sorry for you--but the way you wrote this really made me laugh! And I guess it helps you have already told me the horrors over the phone. They guy's expression in this picture is priceless!