So, the end of August, I bought this beauty, off of craigslist for $40.
Actually, it was $40 for TWO nightstands, a head board, armoire, and two mirrors. SCORE.
...or so I thought.
In hindsight, I probably would not have gotten them if I knew how much work I'd have to put in them.
They were border-line, rotten.
G.R.O.S.S.-rotten.
I washed them with bleach first, took off the backs and sanded like crazy!
The side veneers were warping, so I hacked them off.
Then I replaced the veneer with beadboard.
To make a more uniform look, I put beadboard in the center of the drawer faces.
Then I primed and painted them, inside and out.
(about 6 coats total)
I stained the top, and put several polyurethane coats over the entire thing.
Spray painted the original handles in rubbed bronze...
...and thought I was done.
(please excuse the clutter on top)
But...I just didn't like how old-fashioned it looked.
So, I ordered some bun-feet off e-bay.
They came in a beautiful mahogany, but that didn't look right, so I painted them.
And now,
I am happy.
And just because this has been a long post, (and a long project)
here is a reminder of
the before:
and after:
And now...on to the armoire....
oh, heaven help me...



9 comments:
oh wow, that is quite the project! But I love how it turned out!
Wow! It looks great!!! the bun feet really did help out! Congrates!
You got it!! The side table looks amazing and the armoir will too!! Good luck!
That is amazing!! You have an eye for redueing things. That is a great talent. It does look so good, and the bun feet really did add a lot. I would have never thought about adding them.
Wow, that looks amazing! And I still don't get how Dan does those pumpkins! Holy Cow!
Holy smokes! You are seriously ambitious. The last furniture I refinished sat on my back porch for at least 6 months before we moved it to the garage, where it sat just as long! Finally, I got the kids to help me paint it for a scout project. It isn't anywhere in the same category as your success!!
Hi Trisa this is Megan Anderson Chad's wife. I'm so glad my mom mentioned your comment this last weekend because I hadn't even seen it. That's so funny the parallels we've had in our schooling adventures. We certainly would live to meet up! I was telling Chad you look so familiar, did you go to one of katies birthday parties in AF a long time ago? Maybe I met you there. Well as you know we're just over in w. Pasco so let's get together soon. My number is 971-678-1105.
You have more determination in your pinkie than I think I have in my entire body. Way to go Trisa!
p.s. Did Dan win the pumpkin carving contest- most likely!:)
Trisa, My friend Sheree and her daughter Sundee started refinishing furniture they buy at garage sales and on Craig's List this last year as a business. I've bought a couple of dressers from her. I took 2 up to the cabin and put one in Laura's room. I love them. She sees amazing things in ugly old furniture. They turn out so neat. You have an eye and talent for it too. Check out her blog at blacksheepboutique.blogspot.com I really like your nightstand and coffee table. Can't wait to see how your armoire turns out.
Post a Comment