First, outline your design with a water hose.
Enlist LOTS of slave labor. :)
But don't work too hard. Make sure you go for a ride now and then..
Once your area is excavated, you have to measure, level, measure, dig, level, measure, level...etc.
Beware: This thing is HEAVY!
Enlist some more volunteer labor (a.k.a. LDS missionaries)
Put in your retaining wall. Once again, measure, level, measure, level, dig, level, measure.
Make sure you have a supervisor...
Next, fill in the area with 5/8" course aggregate rock. 4-6" deep. Compact.
Spread and level 1" of fine sand.
Lay the pavers!
Then, crash.
Tip: hire your brother-in-law to do the dirty work.
(Jonathan and my sister Tami and their three boys, drove all the way from Texas to help us out! They did stop in Utah for a while to visit other family members, so it wasn't a straight-through drive, but still, a very long one!)
Jonathan did an amazing job, and my sister helped a lot as well.
I mainly bossed and directed them. :) They were so great to put up with me.
This pit is going to get a LOT of use. Thank you so much Staigers!
Before: After:

19 comments:
Kewl! Nice job, Jonathan & crew.
We were excited to see the step by step pictures! We had a blast. Thanks so much for a really fun couple of weeks!
Very impressive. I want a patio like that in our back yard!
Wow, What a professional looking project. Not only is the design great but the execution of the design was superb. I think that you will have a patio that will stay great looking for many years, because you put a lot of work into preparing the base. Remember how important a firm foundation is in everything that we do.
Thanks for the pictures. You should submit these to a do it yourself magazine for an article. Maybe Mom could help you with some ideas to put it together and get some extra mileage out of it.
Congratulations everyone who helped for job very well done.
Dad Hadfield
wow!! it Does look fabulous!!!!
good work, all!!
How awesome! Great job. I'm sure it will be so fun to sit out there and roast s'mores on a starry summer night:)
SO cool!!! Love the supervisor job! HA!
Wow! Looks great!! Can't wait to see you guys!!
Wow! Looks fabulous! Next stop Ohio?
LOVE it!!! You guys are getting so many things done with your house....that's awesome! I hope you have tons of fun-filled evenings around the fire-pit!
That looks so great!! I have never even heard of a Paver patio! It looks awesome, way to go!!
Holy cow, that is amazing! I can't believe you guys did that yourselves!
Awesome patio!!! A supervisor is essential Trisa, and you looked like you were doing a great job! :) Wish we were staying to help you enjoy it!
That is amazing! Is it in the front or backyard?
that is sooo cooool!
Gorgeous patio. Eli would be very jealous of the fire pit.
Thanks everyone! We really really love it! Greenwald fam: Yes, this is our backyard.
I am so jealous of your firepit! He really did an amazing job.
Wow Trisa! I love it & I'm sure you do, too.:) It looks great!
Post a Comment