The church that Michael went to preschool at, had a rummage sale. I have never been to a garage sale or rummage sale before. I've seen lots and lots of blogs of people that find old pieces of furniture and revamp them into something incredible.
I saw this coffee table, and even though it was huge, I thought it might work for our living room. I bought it for $20.
This is it right out of the car.
My original plan was to sand it down, and stain it a dark brown.
It also had these weird panels in each center...and I brainstormed several things to do.
Cover them with a cute fabric? tile them? make a picture collage?
In the end, I just beat them out. I didn't want to put very much money into this project, in-case it didn't turn out...
Here it is after several hours of sanding. Then I decided maybe I should a chemical stripper. That definitely did not work...only made it gooey. So, I dropped the idea of staining it, and now more than a month into the project, I decided it was time to finish.
I bought some antique white spray-paint, and painted a few coats.
Then I distressed the edges a little...
And put a light coat of stain over top, and immediately wiped it off, to try to give it more of the popular "shabby-chic" look that is popular these days...
I wish I hadn't. I'm not very good at it, and it was blotchy, so I spraypainted over it in some spots....
Then I polyurethaned it. (is that a word? verb?) about 5 coats.
And it was done.
MUCH better than the before:
However, the tiny fingerprints on it DAILY, and just the fact that it is glass, we decided it had to go.
After several listings on craigslist, and a garage sale, a few more listings on craigslist, I finally sold it.
for $30.
Oh well. :)
It was a learning experience.
And yes, I'll probably do it again...
In fact...I am...right now. :)
...to be continued.... :


3 comments:
Good for you to try it out!! I think it turned out darling! Can't wait to see what is next! You have now motivated me to start refinishing my cabinets. I took a class over a month ago and now that vacation is over, I have no more excuses!
Awesome! Way to go. I can't wait to see the next project!!
To answer your questions...
Yes, that area is right out our back door. Isn't it awesome?! We HAD the coolest manager (before they moved...boo hoo). I bought the "slip 'n slide" at Home Depot in the paint section. Best $20 I've spent all summer.:)
so cool! Nice job, I want to do stuff like that!
Post a Comment