Ever heard of Menan? Nope, I didn't think so. It's a small town...by Rigby. Never heard of Rigby? Okay, fine. It's about 15 minutes from Rexburg, ID.
Dan's Grandma lives there, along with two Aunt's and an Uncle. I've heard about the things that go on there on the 4th and had been dying to be a part of it. So, here's our day...in a nut shell...
The annual Clark family breakfast at Grandma's house, starting at 8AM. (We pulled in from our long drive just a few hours earlier, and were able to get in a quick cat nap). Breakfast consisted of Bacon, sausage, eggs, watermelon, fruit salad, orange juice, and THE best waffles I have ever had! (Ann, I've GOT to get that recipe! ...please?)
Grandma immediately wanted to hold her newest great-grand baby, and frankly, who could blame her? :)
Michael ate quickly so he could climb Grandma's apple trees.

After chatting for a few hours, it was time to head over to the Menan fair.
Grandma gave the kids $1 to spend. Michael was SO excited about his dollar, and kept telling everyone about it.

'Course, it didn't take long to spend it! There was a field lined with booths, some with crafts and other products, and lots with food.
But what I LOVED, was how many booths were set up with games just for the kids.
Michael spent his dollar on the ring toss.
On his final try, he won! He was mighty proud of his 2-liter of Raspberry Soda!

There were fish ponds, with quite impressive prizes! Chelsea snagged some sidewalk chalk, and Michael got a bubble blowing kit. PERFECT items for both of them! Man, I was LOVING this fair!
Our little cousin, Hallie, who is Chelsea's age, got to spend the afternoon with us. They were fast friends, and everyone got their face painted.
At 2:00, the parade started. It was hot and crowded, but luckily we had extended family with big trucks to reserve our spot!
Brinly had the best seat of all...and the only one in the shade!
I laughed when the opening "float" was a semi. I'd never seen a semi in a parade before. I was loving the parade already!
But then...I saw what was inside the big-rig.
CHOCOLATE MILK! They were passing out CHOCOLATE MILK! not just to a few people...but to EVERYBODY! It does NOT get better than that! I am sold. Menan has the best 4th of July celebration ever! at least, to me!
The parade did not dissapoint. They had the usual marching bands, fire trucks, grand marshalls, etc. and tons of candy being thrown out.
but unlike most parades, they had a line of antique and not-so-antique tractors...some 50 years old!
and a little on the creepy side...a horse-drawn hearse? very cool.
And lastly, after the parade was over, a jeep carrying a trailer of garbage cans drove slowly by so everyone could dump their trash in. GENIUS!
They had fireworks that night too, but we stayed at Grandma's since it was getting so late and our kids were pooped after all of the fun.
I LOVE THIS TOWN! I'm totally coming back next year!
8 comments:
This was the best post ever. I am laughing while I write this.
What a blast!! You totally should be the towns PR person. . . I love it. It sounds like you and the kiddos had a GREAT time. I love the happiness bursting from michael in the pictures.
Oh yeah. . . and keep those late night posts coming. . i love the laughs!
I am totally Jealous. I love Menan too! I was sad not to be there this year! I'm glad you guys had so much fun!!
looks like the type of place I would totally love!
oh. man. It looks/sounds even better in the pictures!
Snap. I want to go. Now.
AWESOME.
Majorly. AWESOME.
I'm so glad you loved Menan. It really is a great place.
I'm glad you were able to join us for our little Menan celebration and enjoyed it so much. It's fun to see it through the eyes of others. Sometimes we take it for granted. It is a great place to live.
Actually, I have heard of Menan, and I've met some people from there, probably driven through there, but didn't know they did all that fun stuff there!
This post made me miss home!!! I love the 4th in Menan. I hope that one year Cris will get it off so we can go home and show them how the 4th is done. For such a small town they know how to do it. Our town does nothing except fireworks, which is fun for the kids, but I would love to have all the fun, games, and crafts.
I've been waiting for someone to post pics of the reunion. (hint, hint)
Post a Comment