Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kindergarten Trip to the Farm



Chelsea's kindergarten class recently did a unit on Farms. They were given 8 chicken/duck eggs to put in an incubator until they hatched. Unfortunately, NONE of the eggs hatched, except 1 duck. Chelsea had looked forward to "hatch" day for weeks (okay, only the 26 days it takes..) and skipped to school that day. She was so upset when they learned that the eggs were not going to hatch.

The neighboring kindergarten class had ALL 8 eggs hatch, so they gave Chelsea's class 3 of theirs. Chelsea said the class named ALL three "Poofy." :)

Today, they took a field trip to the farm where the eggs came from, to return the chicks and ducks. Unfortunately, it was raining, so there time was cut short. Michael and I went to "chaperone" but there were so many parents there, we didn't do much.

The kids loved feeding the animals, especially the pigs and goats.





Notice the whole piece of bread on the back of the pig...


They kids were taken into a chicken coop so they could find an egg and put it in a basket. I was impressed with how gentle the kids were with the eggs.

Especially, when just a few moments later, they were allowed to hold some live baby animals.



..yeah...not so gentle.

Chelsea was in heaven with the cute little bunnies and kittens.




Michael wanted to hold them too, but wasn't sure what to do when he finally did get to hold one.




Don't forget to sanitize!

This is her teacher, Mrs. Martin, counting to make sure all kids get put back on the bus when it started to rain even harder. Michael kept getting in the count...although he'd make a tiny kindergartener. :)

5 comments:

Shawn and Tasha said...

What a fun-filled day! Chelsea looks like she's in heaven holding that bunny. I love the picture of the goats looking out at you.:)

Staigerfamily said...

Oh where to start?!? First off, I LOVE THE NEW FAMILY PICTURE--you guys are so cute and photogenic! What a neat field trip! I love that the kids got to learn where stuff like that REALLY comes from. We are still trying to help my little "city boys" grasp the concept that eggs & milk don't come from the grocery store and that cows, horses and pigs live somewhere besides the zoo. Chelsea is so beautiful! And Micheal so dang cute!!

tawna said...

CUTE!!! I did a small gasp when the new pic downloaded. Beautiful!!

How fun for the kiddos! I remember holding a baby bunny at silver dollar city- and I was in LOVE.

Poofy. That is a great name.

:D

Ann said...

What a great family picture!!! Your kids will remember that field trip forever. What a fun day you were able to share with them. You made major "Mommy Points" by going. Alan still holds it against me I didn't go on his 2nd grade field trip. (I was 8 months pregnant with Laura and the field trip was a nature hike up a steep hill and it was raining that day too.)

thesearlesociety said...

I like your new family picture. That farm reminds me of the pumpkin patch we went to in Oregon with the animals and hay maze.