Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving

Why is it that I don't realize until it's too late, that I don't take enough pictures!?

My parents and little brother, Evan, joined us for Thanksgiving this year. Unfortunately, this is how they were greeted:
LOTS of snow. The tri-cities RARELY gets snow that lasts overnight...let alone ALL WEEK AND STILL SNOWING! 

Our front door needs some adjusting on the weather stripping or something, because there is a serious breeze coming in through the cracks. Dan fixed it by squishing tissues in the cracks...and it did work...until we had to open the door.

Dan was great about taking the kids sledding. I stayed home to cook the Thanksgiving dinner, so it would be ready when my parents arrived

I need to learn how to take a thanksgiving picture. Notes for next year.
1)Step back to get the WHOLE table
2) wait for family members to get IN the picture
3) man...this picture is making me hungry!

We had extra time to make this "place-card holders". 

And what would Thanksgiving be, without a project?

A CUSTOM master closet!
(WOOHOOO!!!!!)

I had this project in mind since the moment my parents told me they would be coming.

This it the before, sans bars for the clothes. We were a little eager to get started....

Dad and my brother working hard. I helped...I promise!


 And the After:


We moved in our old dresser and made it a "built-in" dresser with a hutch on top. These shelves are 16" deep. LOVE them. (Oh and I do plan on painting the drawers too...)

the backwall and opposite wall. I LOVE how every shelf is adjustible. Perfect for my changing wants and needs. 

I wish you could see the closet in  person. It's much better than the pictures. 
THANKS DAD!!!

We were so sad to see them leave today. I especially. I surprised even myself when I burst out crying when they pulled out. I guess part of me wants to be a little girl again, and let them take care of me. We had so much fun with them and hope they come again soon...and NOT when it's snowing.  (I'm not sure where mom was when we took this picture...but the weather was getting worse and they needed to get off.)

Again, I'm kicking myself for not taking more pictures. I don't think I have ANY of my mom. UGH. I guess I'll have to replay the week in my head over and over, so I don't forget a moment.
















3 comments:

Connor and Jana said...

Trisa, you have got to stop all of your projects! It is making the rest of us look lazy!! I am so amazed at you!! I think everytime I look at your blog that I want to be like you. Your closet looks wonderful! I am all for built in closet and adjustible shelves, even in the kids room! Way to go!!

Erin R. said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the closet!! It looks so fabulous! I too cry whenever my parents leave. It is so hard being so far away!! Happy Holidays!

thesearlesociety said...

Can't believe you had snow for Thanksgiving. We did too, but that's normal for Germany! I made those same cute turkeys for our neighborhood Thanksgiving we had the Saturday before Thanksgiving (still need to post about that!). Glad you had a good time with family. We will be able to spend Christmas and New Year's in the States this year with my family and Russell's! I'm so excited!