Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day and movie night


Last Thursday, I was invited to a mother's day tea party at Chelsea's class. She was so excited about it and wanted to "dress up" so she wore one of her school dresses and I curled her hair...(well I tried..but I her hair was too wet to start with and the curls didn't really turn out...) She still looked beautiful. The tea party lasted only about 30 minutes long, but I enjoyed every second of it.

The kids came out of the classroom to meet their mom's in the hall. Chelsea presented with me with this beautiful homemade corsage.

Then she led me into her classroom, to her chair, and let me have a seat. I was worried I'd need help getting out of the "little" chair when it was time to leave, but was grateful to be sitting.

The kids then sang two songs for us. One about the alphabet and the other the "Five Little Ducks went out to Play" song. I recorded it on the camera, but am too tired to post it. Sorry. :)

Then the kids lined up to get refreshments for their moms. Chelsea loves getting to do big jobs, so she was looking forward to serving ME the food.


Each mom received exactly 1 strawberry, 2 vanilla wafers, and a spoonful of cranberry-chocolate chip mixture. (Later we could have seconds...) After the mom's were served, the kids got to return to line to get their own. I think the idea was that the kids would sit on our laps to eat...but poor Chelsea had to balance on the edge of my knee since my Stomach was taking all the room. It felt good to hold her though.

Finally, they presented us with gifts. A homemade card and a ceramic craft (still not exactly sure what it is, but it's beautiful! :)) that they made in art class.

I feel so lucky to have a daughter like Chelsea. She is so sweet, gentle, and caring, and EASY. I was really blessed to have her first, so she could be an example to her brothers and sisters...and of course, ease me into parenting. She has a very silly side when you get to know her, which she definitely got from her Dad. I love you Chelsea!

For the actual Mother's day, the kids (under Dad's supervision) treated me to a 4 course breakfast.

Course 1: 1/2 bowl of corn Chex cereal with milk


Course 2: 1 piece of cinnamon toast (Michael served this entree to me...and dropped it on the floor right when he got to the bed. He just said "oops. I sorry mom" picked it up, put it back on the plate and said "Happy Mother's day!" I love that kid!

Course 3: 1 bowl of cooked, instant oatmeal. You know, the kind that comes in the packets.

Course 4: 1 eggo waffle with syrup.

I felt like a queen. Well, at least a very lucky Mother who has the cutest kids.

Lastly they presented me with my mother's day gift. A book.
They curled in bed next to me and had me read it to them. It was perfect. Truly, I am, the happiest mother ever!

On another note...to make the length of this post growing...

We found out something fun we can do on the weekends! WAHOO! :) There is a restaurant here called "Smoovies" which makes smoothies (and sandwiches, and ice-cream, and lots of other stuff...) and sponsors a movie in the park on Saturday night. The movie was supposed to start at 8, but it wasn't dark enough, so the kids spent some time playing in the complimentary bounce house. I waddled myself down a half block to get us some smoothies, which of course we devoured before the movie started. The movie they showed was "Bedtime Stories". The kids were more interested in the popcorn and m&m's, but still liked it.

Whether it was the bounce house, smoothie, popcorn, or movie, apparently they had too much fun. We are SO doing this again.

9 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

Tia--
I absolutely LOVE this post. It was so fun to read about what your family is doing. The Teaparty pictures were so adorable. I love how excited Chelsea was to give her mom a special day at school. The ceramic craft made me smile and breakfast and the movie in the park. . .I loved the glimpse into your adorable family. I also love the shirt you wore to the tea party. . .pregnant but still so fashionable!

tawna said...

so. cute.

You are an amazing mommy!! What a sweet tea party idea!

Mom told me about your multiple-course breakfast. Awesome. :)

What a fun Smoovie night! My favorite is the exhausted kids slumped completely over on their sides in the car. So cute!

What a fun time!

Wiest Family said...

SO MUCH FUN. I love reading about you guys. We miss you me the most from our family but it's nice to see and read that you are all doing well. 'Till next time....

Brit said...

The movie in the park sounds way fun! And Chelsea is the sweetest little girl ever, Love that girl, tell her hi! Michael is so funny and sounds like you had a great mothers day!

Erin R. said...

What a great Mother's Day! The tea party sounded like so much fun! I can't wait until I get to do things like that with my little boys.

The movie in the park sounded like a winner! What a great way to spend a Saturday evening.

p.s.- You look so great in the pictures!!!

Michelle said...

I never knew that tea parties were such a big thing. Chelsea is so cute. Noah gets very embarrassed. He wouldn't even let me put my arm around him. Luck you breakfast in bed!! Matt had to go to church early for a scout meeting so I was left at home to get the kids ready. Sometimes I wish we lived in a bigger city so they would have more fun things to do. Smoovie night would be so fun. Oh and I do have a lot of belly shots. I have been trying to have Matt take one every week since I was 4 weeks. I just haven't posted any yet. Matt still hasn't told his family that I am pregnant. As far as they know we aren't having any more. (long story) I think he wants to wait until we find out what we are having or I am going to make him tell them then. I am showing. My pants are getting really tight but I haven't bought any new pants yet (another long story). Anyway pictures will be coming soon!!

Nessa said...

The last picture is HILARIOUS!!! And movie in the park...that sounds so fun!

Shawn and Tasha said...

What a sweet mother's day! That little Chelsea of yours is darling. I love your comment about her being EASY...if it were up to our first child (and how easy he was/is) as to how many children we have I think we would have stopped with one.:)

Love the last picture of the kids...so cute!

thesearlesociety said...

How fun to go to a tea party with Chelsea. I can't even tell you are pregnant in the picture with her! What a nice Mother's Day you had and such cute kids.

I love that Smoovie place too. What a fun idea. Get more in while you can before the baby!